Surprise Kitchener Road Trip

-5 Minute Read-

The morning after.
The morning after.
Throwback - St. Paddy's Day 2011.
Throwback – St. Paddy’s Day 2011.

Joel’s Journal - Entry #138 - 3/17/2017

We had some pretty simple plans for the night.

A cozy pint at the pub, perhaps a mutant milkshake of some kind from Hollywood Cone, then call it an evening.

Well, come the end of the workday, the magic of St. Patrick was starting to flow through my veins and Mike’s invitation to his party in Kitchener was starting to glow brighter and brighter from the back corner of my mind. The invitation had come earlier in the week, but a commitment in New Market on Saturday was keeping me from making the drive to Kitchener the night before.

However, when I got back to the apartment, dropped my laptop and files onto the desk, I was hit with this urge to just GO.

Perhaps it was the ghost of St. Patrick’s Days past, days that would have seen a university-aged Joel cracking his first beer at 9 a.m., playing beer pong throughout the day and ending up finishing the night drinking a beer on someone’s roof or something.

I stood in the hallway, trying to decide, would it be Kitchener? Or would it be Oshawa for the night?

I text M, running the idea by her. Would she be up for the drive?

She tex t back almost immediately. Of course she would, she was the one who actually wanted to make the trip earlier in the week when the idea first came about.

So, it was settled.

I packed up my bag, grabbing my Topo Backpack (which doesn’t usually get much use) and packed it up with my supplies for the night, grabbed my Topo mountain bag, repacked my laptop and camera and waited for M to arrive.

When she arrived, we packed up the car and got on our way. Kitchener wasn’t our first destination though.

It was right at the end of the workday and trying to drive across Toronto quickly at that hour is akin trying to run across thick mud, it just doesn’t happen.

So, we stopped at Rileys for a Guinness to wait the worst of it out.

The work day was barely an hour gone past and the pub was already packed. Large groups of green clad people filled the tables, banners advertising Guinness and complimented with gold colouring and shamrocks hung around the place like streamers. Green beer filled many of the pint glasses filling the surrounding tables.

Personally, I find the green beer a little off-putting and when M and I grabbed a couple of seats at the bar, I opted for a pint of the dark stuff. Guinness is just much more fitting in my opinion.

As we drank, M and l decided that visiting the Guinness brewery and earning our certifications in pouring a perfect Guinness pint it something that needs to be added to our bucket list.

Before we finished up, there were a few people stumbling about and the sounds of more than one glass breaking as it was knocked over dropped from a drunken hand.

When the clock approached 7 p.m., we headed back to the car and onto the 401.

It took us about an hour and forty five minutes to pull into Kitchener, which is quite good in my standards (the record for my quickest drive one hour and 38 minutes), so we did pretty good.

We dropped our bags at my parents place, gave Jude a quick pet, then headed over to Mikes for friends, games and probably one too many drinks and Jello shots. Sadly, no tobogganing this time around.

I left my car in Mike’s driveway and M and I hoofed it home in the early hours of the morning, arm in arm.

When I woke up yesterday morning, I didn’t see myself ending the day like that, and I think that’s what makes these impromptu trips and game-time decisions so great. When they work out for you, they lead to some of the more memorable experiences in your life.

That and it’s just plain exciting.

NOW, let’s discuss this chapter, it’s getting released tomorrow, and I hope you’re all looking forward to it. I haven’t had the opportunity to edit it again, but hopefully I’ll find some time tonight.

In the meantime, make sure you’re doing what you love and doing it well this Saturday night.

Thanks for reading,